New Probate fees from 1st May 2017
It has taken a year for the Governments consultation process to approve an increase in the costs of obtaining a Grant of Probate. The relatively cheap fixed fee is out in favour of a new-tiered fee system based on the value of the deceaseds estate, so :
- at less than 50.000 – No probate fee
- at 50,000-300,000 – 300 probate fee
- at 300,000-500,000 – 1,000 probate fee
- at 500,000-1m – 4,000 probate fee
- at 1m-1.6m – 8,000 probate fee
- at 1.6m-2m – 12,000 probate fee
- at more than 2m – 20,000 probate fee
There has been a lot of strong opposition to the plans but it has made no difference.
Probate (or Estate Administration by its common name)
is rarely straightforward and not for the feint-hearted. If you would like help following the death of someone close, simply get in touch and we will help guide you through, contact us here.